02 Ford F150 Supercrew Motorguard Install Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided on the Left Outside Frame rail location for the Motorguard Oil bypass filter install. I turn the wheel to the full right and the filter is easily within reach to service. I mocked the filter up and used a quick clamp to hold it (bracket & filter) in placed and drilled three holes in the frame rail. The lines will route forward and curl up and over the front of the frame rail then stay right on top of the rail the short distance to the PermaCool adapter at the oil filter location.

Question - Would the Motorguard need to be truely vertical as it is clamped ?

I installed the TP roll after I bolted it up to be sure I could. A 3/4" or 1" block spacer under the bracket would allow the unit to sit out a bit from the frame and be truely vertical and have room to change the TP roll without difficulty.

I guess I would rather have the filter leaning toward the frame rail side rather than away in the event the bolts were to ever loosen. Loctite plus the lockwashers should secure it. I will run it a bit before deciding.

More Pics to follow as I finish this one and go on to the Transmission setup.

Motorguard1.jpg

Motorguard10.jpg

PermaCool Adapter to fit the Ford
Motorguard12.jpg

Here is the Transmission Setup - to be installed.

Motorguard15.jpg

That looks great.. Great install.

Do you live in an area that gets any snow or much rain? I would probaly consider installing a splash guard of some kind in that spot..

is that the universal adapter from Perma-cool? If it is, can you do me a favor and check the gasket size on it and the adapter that it has please?

The filter will filter in any position. I have used a piece of flat metal to beef up the mount. A piece of rubber between the lower housing and the flat stock and a large hose clamp will make it a lot more rigid. If the filter is where it can't drain you can add a tee and will drain better when it is hot. A guy showed me his installation on a F-150. He mounted it to a plastic box on the upper right fire wall. He ran the oil lined to a sandwich adapter on the stock filter mount. If the filter doesn't drain when it is higher than the hookups it probably just needs for the tee handle to be loosened to let air in when the filter is still hot. When everything works the Motor Guard is the easiest and least messy to change of the bypass filters. That why they like them on marine engines.

Completed the install. The Motorguard filter warmed up in a few minutes and no leaks so far. I was able to complete the install with the truck on ramps. I did install both fittings hose and clamps on the sandwich adapter before installing it. The unit wants to turn as the final turn of the threaded adapter. The hose helped as a hand hold to keep the sandwich adapter from turning. Final pics included.
Total job time was two hours. Everyone asked for pics so enjoy.

Next up the Transmission Setup
smile.gif

Motorguard16.jpg

Motorguard22.jpg

Motorguard23.jpg

Motorguard26.jpg

Motorguard28.jpg

Motorguard29.jpg

Motorguard31.jpg

Motorguard33.jpg

Motorguard37.jpg

Motorguard42.jpg

Motorguard44.jpg

Motorguard48.jpg

Motorguard50.jpg

Motorguard53.jpg

I don't know about you guys, but rubber lines like that would make me nervous.

I would have gone with SS lines and AN fittings, much more expensive, but more piece of mind.

I'd hate to see a pebble from the road take out that hose, and grenade the motor.

You can cover the line with split wire loom and this will protect the hoses and you don't have to remove them to install the loom. I do this on the Frantz filters I install and it works great.

As the other guys stated....I would put something over those lines to protect the rubber hoses, especially since they are so close the the tire. Nice install.

Those lines are fine the way they are. They're pointed away from the tire and tucked right up in behind the bumper. Remember to snug up the clamps every once in awhile.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but do you know if the 1 1/8 works for all of the perma-cool mounts? I have a 3/4 by 16, and need to get it screwed in tight. Did you do anything special to it when you screwed it in?

I do not know the dimensions of the other PermaCool mounts.

Nothing special was done. Threads were oiled a bit and I checked the line routing and length prior to the adapter install. I did install the filter hose fittings and clamps to the adapter prior to attaching the adapter to the oil filter pad. As you snug up the adapter nut for the final amount the adapter will want to turn a bit so I used the hoses section as a hand hold to keep it in the orientation I wanted.

:)

I believe the adapter/extension nut is 1 1/8th on my 3/4-16 sandwich. The nut thread is the primary difference. The O ring is identical to the Ford OEM for the right angle mount on stuff like Explorers and such ..and is also identical to the one used Mopar right angle mount used on Cherokees. It's also the SAME O ring used on the old mid 80's Crown Vic police package sandwich adapters used on the 351.

FYI $3 from MOPAR ..about $12 from Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back