02 Duramax AMSOIL 5W30 Series 3000 Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Common 02 Duramax, rare manual transmission truck.

4K miles on oil. Changed to AMS Series 3K in July. Truck doesn't get driven nearly enough, mostly quick trips, where it doesn't get up to temp, even when below freezing. Lots of quick trips less than 1-2 miles. I don't idle it. The starter hates me. Only towed Suburban on tandem axle car trailer a few times with it. Never plug it in, store it out side, and it starts even with ambient temp being -10F. The engine hates me too, as I only let it warm up about 20-30 sec or so before I drive even at that temp.

crushedcar.gif

At sample time it had 46K on engine. Lemon law buyback truck. All 8 injectors replaced at 38K with two oil changes at dealer, and 3 more oil changes in 500 miles by previous owner to flush oil from crankcase. Unknown oil brand (was red) in crankcase at time of purchase, and did not sample. Changed to AMS Series 3K synthetic at first oil change as new owner at 42K and bolted up dual remote with SDF26 full flow, and BE110 bypass and AMS pre oiler.

Got "Check engine oil pressure" every few days at startup due to no oil press for 5 sec, even with pre oiler!
shocked.gif
I didn't like the extra rattle when running on zero oil pressure! Thought this was due to crappy anti drain back valves in AMS OIL filters. Changed both filters at 42,500, added 4 quarts of makeup oil. Lack of oil press now only happens maybe once a month, entirely randomly. AMS OIL blames my "unsupported configuration with 3rd party hose" 15 feet of 3000psi hydraulic hose, as filters are mounted inside fender of truck box. I blame crappy anti drain back valves in filters and pre oiler that doesn't hold enough oil. (one cup!) Like I would even trust the rubber hose they ship with unit! Can't mount any closer to engine due to pre oiler that attaches to top of dual remote housing. Removing preoilder actually helped oil pressure problem until filters were changed! Going to add hydraulic oil check valve to filter adapter plate when filters are changed to prevent drain back.

All Zeros not listed.

Al 1
Fe 4
Cu 4
Pb 3
Mo 2
B 15
Si 10 (Changed the completely clogged air filter)
Ca 3053
Mg 60
P 1039
Zn 1145

Visc 64.5
Flash point 455
Fuel Anti 0.0
H2O 0.0
With short trips, BE110 must be absorbing water!
Insol .3%

TBN 11.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back