02 Crown Vic P71 TPS not seeing WOT, early shifts

Hoping someone here might have some advice since the CrownVic forums are pretty inactive.

I've always thought my CV seemed to upshift early under WOT and my handheld data reader shows that is correct. Also shows the TPS reading 20% at idle and 93% at WOT. The cable is pulling the TB open all the way. First gear shifts at 46xx rpm. Second also shifts early too, around 80mph, I can hold 2nd out to 95mph and not hit the rev limiter.

Any advice about how to get it holding it's maximum shift points?

Those numbers appear to be in range....Ford has always had strange TPS percent vs voltage numbers.
*20% would be @ 1 vdc
*93% would be @ 4.65 vdc (IIRC......93% is the calibrated limit)

Runs/Drives/Idles great. No codes. Sits around 600rpm warm. This problem didn't surface, the car has always run this way I just never really thought much of it until someone who drove a p71 for years commented about the shifts being a little early so I hooked my scanner to it.

It is shifting about 400+rpms too soon when floored and that is around the % off the TPS seems to read.

supposedly the TPS is adjustable but most of what I read is people creating idle issues for themselves

I'd like to see the calibration, Unfortunately I don't have any CV/GM calibration files saved & HP Tuners doesn't have any calibrations in the repository.

It's on the stock tune. If I could get my hands on an unmarried SCT I still have my ProRacer tuning software from my old 03 Cobra.

One possibility:

Some of the Crown Vics had 11.25" torque converters and some had 12" torque converters. The ones with 12" torque converters shifted earlier to prevent torque converter ballooning.

One possibility:

Some of the Crown Vics had 11.25" torque converters and some had 12" torque converters. The ones with 12" torque converters shifted earlier to prevent torque converter ballooning.

I've heard this but have read all police package cars had the smaller converter?

Those figures seem right.

First thing I would do, before anything else, is the J-Mod. If you're still not happy and looking to get a tune, you may want to contact Marty. If you're going to get a tune, it would be a good idea to get an 80 mm MAF and a 70 mm throttle body to go with it. Maybe port/polish the plenum while you're at it.

Those figures seem right.

First thing I would do, before anything else, is the J-Mod. If you're still not happy and looking to get a tune, you may want to contact Marty. If you're going to get a tune, it would be a good idea to get an 80 mm MAF and a 70 mm throttle body to go with it. Maybe port/polish the plenum while you're at it.

I did the JMOD last year, it didn't seem to raise the shift points. Definitely a great improvement in behavior though.