02 Corvette LS1 - 4K on GC - Cam Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is this years oil analysis. I changed from Amsoil 5W-30 to German Castrol 0W-30 and also included Lube Controlin the oil and Fuel Power in the fuel. The other major change was the removal of the Donaldson air filter and installation of a Vararam and K&N filter.

After about 3,000 miles I installed a VHP cam with Crane 1.8 roller rockers, new valve springs/hardened pushrods, guide plates, Katech timing chain and the GMPP timing chain damper. I also sealed the bottom of the front cover with silicone. The car was run another 1,000 miles prior to this oil sample.

I was hoping to get an unbiased look at how the Vararam and the K&N filter changed my silicon level from the Donaldson, but the results will now be skewed because of the front timing cover sealing. Overall, I think the results look very good, especially in light of the fact that many new parts had to wear in after they were installed.

Comments, insights?

-

Looks like the Amsoil did a bit better, but very hard to judge due to break in and the work you did. I say do a couple runs with GC, then try the Amsoil again. (try the 5W-40)

This UOA of my LS1 at 10K miles shows how wear dropped after my cam install. I threw in an 02 LS6 cam, springs, retainers at 4K miles.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000773

This UOA at 13K I threw in a TR224, C918s, titanium retainers and new PR's. Wear seemed to spike again after the new parts.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001187#000000

This UOA at 19K I threw new heads on the LS1, new castings, valvesprings and tit rets, Wear was the best yet even with the new parts. I did go to a heavier oil blend which might have helped.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001747#000000

Either way I think your silicon numbers should drop a good amount by your next UOA. Mine seemed too. I don't see the PR's and guide plates doing much if any to the iron content.

Thanks.

I am following in your footsteps a little bit, I just bought new heads and lifters. Also will need a different length pushrod and will go to ARP studs on the heads. That will be in the spring.

Where are you with rwhp?

Last on the dyno with the QTEC open was 420rwhp @ 396rwtq. SAE Dynojet I'm pleased as it drives 98% like stock and they are low budget $1100 Patriot heads. TR224 112LSA cam w/ all supporting boltons.

What heads did you go with? AFR 205's are a sweet head for street/strip 346 as well as TEA's 1.5's.

Iron and lead are a tiny bit higher than I would be comfortable with, however given the work you've had done they aren't too bad at all.

By the way, I am getting a Vararam installed on my 98 Corvette next week, and am at the end of my current OCI, so my entire next interval will be with the Vararam. So we'll get to see how much more silicon I see on my reports. I am prepared to see engine wear go up slightly, that is the price to pay for wanting a bit more power.

I bought the new Dart 205's and am using the money saved to upgrade my lifters to Morels and the head bolts to AFR studs. I really wanted the AFR's, but at half the cost I couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back