02 3.9L Ford Thunderbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend that has this vehicle and I thought I would help in changing her oil. Man talk about special. Car Quest oil filter for this thing had to be ordered, didn't have one in stock, and it was $11. What gives on that, besides the huge 1 inch hole in the center? Why did Ford go to this special set up?

Do I really need to run the 5w-20? I was just going to put 5w-30 in it and let it at that. What makes this 3.9L so special? At least it seems that way. What happened to the day that you could put the same filter that fit the 4 banger on the 6 and 8 bangers? That made life easy on the pocket book as well as shelf space in the garage.

Now I guess I shouldn't say to much since I have yet to get under that car and see what it all entails. I do know that my mother-in-laws DOHC engine in her 95 Mark VIII down right flies and the oil filter isn't in the best of area's but not to bad. At least it isn't right above a hot exhaust.

So should I go with a synthetic 5w-20 or 5w-30?

Thanks

quote:

So should I go with a synthetic 5w-20 or 5w-30?

You'll probably get 14 different answers, but IMHO it's best to run what the manual recommends for viscosity and OCI, at least until the warranty is up.

Having said that, I run Mobil 1 5W-30 in my Marauder...but it's MY car...if I was going to do an oil change on someone ELSE'S car that is still under warranty...well, you get the picture.

Keep a log and save all receipts during the warranty to verify that proper maintenance was done.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Motorcraft oil and filters at this point.

A synthetic would be fine, but I doubt your warranty will allow extended change intervals and I am not aware of any syn oil promoting extended intervals in 20 wt. anyway.

The Motorcraft would be a good choice, imho.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Keep a log and save all receipts during the warranty to verify that proper maintenance was done.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Motorcraft oil and filters at this point.

A synthetic would be fine, but I doubt your warranty will allow extended change intervals and I am not aware of any syn oil promoting extended intervals in 20 wt. anyway.

The Motorcraft would be a good choice, imho.

Uhhhh....what he said!
worshippy.gif

Not sure of the part number. It is a filter that also fits Jag's if memory serves me correctly. I'm at work but will get the number when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back