01 Z06 after 4400 miles and 3 trackdays @ 290*f peak Mobil 1 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Mobil 1 5w-30
Filter AC UFP44
Miles on oil: 4400
Miles on car: 54k

I was a little worried that I was pushing this Mobil 1 to the limit. 4400 miles and 3 track days, 2 at VIR and one at Road Atlanta. The last 2 trackdays at VIR where 400 miles before the oil was changed. I used a UFP44 filter. The 2 added quarts where to keep the car 1 quart over for trackdays. Temps peaked at least half of the sessions ran at 290*f each trip to the track. At least 275*f+ all other sessions.

-

I guess the extra $10 I paif for the TBN just gives you a # as in 6.6 for this report. What does that # mean? Thanks!

This is an excellent report for Mobil 1 and your Z06. Wear metals look excellent, especially after the abuse you put the car through. The only thing I would change is a move to M1 10W-30.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the 290*F temperature is that of the oil right? It definitely wouldn't be good for the coolant to be that high.

EDIT 2: TBN at 6.6 is pretty strong. TBN stand for Total Base Number, and it tells you the amount of active detergents left in the oil. The detergens undergo a chemical change as the clean the engine. Detergens actually react with dirt/soot/acids/others to form new compounds. Whatever amount is left after that when you test the oil is given as a number....in this case 6.6. Mobil 1 oils usually start with a TBN of 10-11+, while most dinos 7-8+.

[ June 26, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
This is an excellent report for Mobil 1 and your Z06. Wear metals look excellent, especially after the abuse you put the car through. The only thing I would change is a move to M1 10W-30.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the 290*F temperature is that of the oil right? It definitely wouldn't be good for the coolant to be that high.

That was the oil temp for sure. Water does not get much above 220 and cools down to 200 quick w/ 170 stat and fans set 183'ish.

I was thinking about an oil cooler, but wanted to see how the oil was holding up at first. Friend of mine has an Ron Davis rad/oil cooler and his oil is about 265*f max, but that setup is $1000.

I just ordered some of the baldwin oil filters.

I'm pretty sure your Z06 has an oil cooler. Might not be as effective as some aftermarket though.

If it was my Z06 I would run M1 10W-30 (More stable at High Temps/Shear) with 1 QT of M1 15W-50 for the overfill for its more robust additive package and to boost viscosity.

Why?

At 150C (302F) with conventional oil a GM/SAE paper says you need a minimum vicosity of 5.25 cSt (SAE 40).

Although the rule of thumb is you can run one grade lower with synthetic it would be to close for my comfort.

However the 5W-30 did seem to do prety well although I would have liked to see oxidation and nitration figures.

Gene

[ June 26, 2004, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
If it was my Z06 I would run M1 10W-30 (More stable at High Temps/Shear) with 1 QT of M1 15W-50 for the overfill for its more robust additive package and to boost viscosity.

Why?

At 150C (302F) with conventional oil a GM/SAE paper says you need a minimum vicosity of 5.25 cSt (SAE 40).

Although the rule of thumb is you can run one grade lower with synthetic it would be to close for my comfort.

However the 5W-30 did seem to do prety well although I would have liked to see oxidation and nitration figures.

Gene

I agree! I would even go as far as 50/50 10W-30/15W-50. The fact is that M1 5W-30 did outstanding here.....a thicker oil would calm my nerves though!
wink.gif

Wow, this is a good report. Every time I start to say things about M1 not being good in a LS1 I end up eating my words. For an *API oil found at Walmart, it's tough to beat it. And for those that think Redline is needed for severe driving applications, I don't think so. PAO, Calcium and Boron seems to be doing just fine. Lot of life left too. You could double the miles probably on this one.
cheers.gif

*correction

[ June 26, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

My dear LS1 brother. This is a good report. However, I would not run this oil in my LS1. Your engine may be special or you may just be lucky but I am of the opinion that this oil is too thin for the LS1 especially when there are better oil out there that can do the job.

My dear LS brother. This is a good report. However, I would not run this oil in my LS1. Your engine may be special or you may just be lucky but I am of the opinion that this oil is too thin for the LS1 especially when there are better oil out there that can do the job.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
My dear LS brother. This is a good report. However, I would not run this oil in my LS1. Your engine may be special or you may just be lucky but I am of the opinion that this oil is too thin for the LS1 especially when there are better oil out there that can do the job.

**** , I too would be scared to run 5w30 in this motor, especially at the track. Do you have an accurate oil pressure gauge, and if so, what were the readings on the track?

Haha.. why is d a m n included in the swear filter?
lol.gif

[ June 27, 2004, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

quote:

I'm pretty sure your Z06 has an oil cooler. Might not be as effective as some aftermarket though.

100% sure that their is no oil cooler from the factory on the Z06 or any C5 vette.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
**** , I too would be scared to run 5w30 in this motor, especially at the track. Do you have an accurate oil pressure gauge, and if so, what were the readings on the track?

Haha.. why is d a m n included in the swear filter?
lol.gif

Not sure about the pressure as I'm a little busy to monitor that as well as the oil/water temp.
grin.gif
I'll have to try and look next month when I return to VIR. I am going to switch to the baldwin oil filters from the UPF44.

I did have a re-ring done

SAE50 at 300F is about the same viscosity as SAE30 at 240F, thus the reason some like to run an engine like yours on Mobil1 15w-50 at the track, myself included. Although, if you had a good oil cooler to keep the temps down, M1R 0-30 would also be an excellent choice. I would also look into a higher flowing filter than the UPF, as you apparently are investigating already.

quote:

Originally posted by silverz06vette:

quote:

100% sure that their is no oil cooler from the factory on the Z06 or any C5 vette.

You are correct. The oil cooler will be part of the Z51 package on the C6 though.

This report is definitely very good, but puzzling too, since 5w30 M1 is thin to begin with, so at close to 300F it would be super thin and not provide much bearing protection. I honestly don't know how it did so well here, it typically doesn't show all that spectacular UOAs in the LS1/LS6. The LS1/LS6 likes something closer to 12-14cst.

I would definitely recommend an oil cooler for those LS1/LS6 owners doing a lot of road racing.

I think a thicker oil for track use, or one with more ZDP like Mobil 1 R would be a better choice, but didn't GM test the Vette going around the track multiple times at full speed? Mobil 1 5w-30 was in it and I'm sure they tore it down and did some analysis. I think the oil is fine to use, however, your right that it is more on the "economy" side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back