'01 Toyota 3.0: oil to clean up sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HDEO's are the way to go. Rotella T6 rejuvinated my leaky seals and has been slowly cleaning my engine for 8 or 9 years. I actually used quite a few oils before, and during, such as GTX 10W-30 and 10W-40, M1 0W-40, and GC 0W-30.

From my experience, Rotella T6 got black faster than any of the others, leading me to believe it cleaned the best out of those.

You could do one short OCI on spec synthetic (5w30) if you don't want to remove any covers. Then just use quality synthetic from here on out. No need for the 0w-40 and AutoRX treatment may be asking for trouble. It's safer to let good oil clean it slowly.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
HDEO's are the way to go. Rotella T6 rejuvinated my leaky seals and has been slowly cleaning my engine for 8 or 9 years. I actually used quite a few oils before, and during, such as GTX 10W-30 and 10W-40, M1 0W-40, and GC 0W-30.

From my experience, Rotella T6 got black faster than any of the others, leading me to believe it cleaned the best out of those.

Do you have any sort of direct evidence to support your stance?

Originally Posted By: dew
You could do one short OCI on spec synthetic (5w30) if you don't want to remove any covers. Then just use quality synthetic from here on out. No need for the 0w-40 and AutoRX treatment may be asking for trouble. It's safer to let good oil clean it slowly.

Yes but clean what? Unless you know how much or how little its all pointless. If it is a real sludge engine then pulling the pan and covers and doing a good manual clean first might be the best route. The last thing it needs is to plug the pickup and huff the motor.
If its clean, oil changes and a new PCV would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back