01 SAAB 9-5 Aero 7K on M1 15w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
That oil sure sheared back....now a high 30-weight! Man those Saab engines are tough on oil! But now that I look at it again, the fuel is also really high....I just didn't think, even with the fuel, a PAO-based syn. would shear that much!

Where's that mitsu guy who laughed when I said Saabs are tough on oil?

I wanted to ask about the sodium as well but isn't their an issue with sodium in M1 or is that just in Mobil Clean 5000?

Now y'all may see why I've had so much trouble cleaning mine out. And THIS guy's is an Aero. They are supposed to be slightly LESS harsh on the oil than the base 2.3l turbo that I have.

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:
That oil sure sheared back....now a high 30-weight! Man those Saab engines are tough on oil! But now that I look at it again, the fuel is also really high....I just didn't think, even with the fuel, a PAO-based syn. would shear that much!

The fuel dilution is like it is because the piston rings are of a very thin design to reduce friction. Also the PCV system functionality is questionable.

So now you all understand why I keep my car on a 4K oci even with fully synthetic.
tongue.gif

What coolant is in there? What oil was in last time? Maybe it was Mobil Semi Syn. That's seious dilution. 2% is the point where action should be taken. Wear doesn't suggest antifreeze.

This isn't my car, but a friend's from a SAAB forum. The car currently has 42,000 miles and this is the results of a 7,000 oci with Mobil 1 15w-50 SL.

-

Now this car does 50 mile commutes to work every day so it's a lot of highway miles. Also bear in mind that this car was originally speced 10K oci's on semi-synthetic oil.

I thought the only indication of coolant was high sodium AND high potassium numbers?

Are you sure the reduction in viscosity is from the engine being hard on the oil? Couldn't the fuel dilution be the cause of the lower viscosity?
dunno.gif
I still have a lot to learn on deciphering these uoa's

*Nevermind, i just read the lab's comments and they confirmed my thoughts

quote:

Originally posted by Raven18940:
He's very sure he used Mobil 1, the car has always had M1 and before this change he was doing 3K changes.

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Raven for sending this information out.

I'm the owner of this Saab. Thanks for the information that you have given thus far; it's been very interesting following the discussions on the Saab forum and here as well. The car is almost due for a 3K oil change, so I will have that oil analyzed and post the results here if you're interested.

Here is a little more detail. I bought the car with 29K on it, and have done 3K oil changes since then with various Mobil1 fully synthetic oils. The results for this 7000 mile test were surprising to me, given Saab's recommendation of 10K oil changes with semi-synthetic. I heard Saab recently started recommending 5K oil changes, and perhaps this is why.

Raven is correct about all other items - the car sees easy, highway speed, not dusty commuting duty with my wife as driver, so no hot-rodding. We live in North Carolina, so no problems with winter. All service is up to date, with the exception of a PCV update that is now coming to my attention, which is available as a kit from Saab overseas, but apparently not in the states just yet. Dunno if that has anything to do with the poor results shown on this test.

The antifreeze was flushed at the dealer for the 30,000 mile checkup, btw.

Thanks again!

For a little background, saab has issued and retracted several PCV updates for this car. A revised, revised, revised update is just landing on our shores. The previous update was causing too much consumption.

Yodelfoot, I'm gonna wing it and say you may be looking at results indicative of that faulty PCV combined with perhaps not so rigorous an Oil change interval by the prior owner. If the PCV itself isn't doing this alone over the oil's life, it may be that sludge and varnish already built up might be contributing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back