01 Mercury Sable LS 24V DOHC Duratec what PS Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manual for my 01 Mercury Sable LS recommends Mercon ATF for the power steering fluid. I always thought that true power steering fluid was better than ATF. Any thoughts or recommendations? I was considering using Royal Purple synthetic PS fluid.

I am getting a slight whine i=on cold mornings when turning the wheel and wanted to just suck what I could out of reservoir and top off.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
The manual for my 01 Mercury Sable LS recommends Mercon ATF for the power steering fluid.
Follow the manual.

Mercon, or Mercon V trans fluid. Power steering fluid is thicker and not what you want in the power steering fluid.

I noticed the new Dodge Caravans have gone to transmission fluid having previously used power steering fluid for many years. One or the other is not really better. It's just what is specified for that power steering system. One is designed for thinner viscosity, and the other for thicker.

Last edited:
Use "meets or exceeds" Mercon fluid or Mercon V.

Turkey baster changes with Super Tech Mercon V has kept all of my Ford PS pumps quiet with no issues. 2 Rangers and 1 Explorer...all original, factory installed pumps, racks, and lines. No noise, no issues. Model years ranging from 1995-2002.

Turkey baster + Mercon or Mercon V = happy Ford PS pump.

For the power steering system, I use Mobil1 ATF in my '02 Sable wagon. Stays clear and tolerates the heat well. I switch out the reservoir about every 25K miles.

I used Amsoil ATX fluid on my Taurus but any good quality ATX fluid will work. Just siphon out the reservoir once a year and replace.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Don't forget there is a power steering filter in the system.

I'm not too familiar with the Taurus, but I thought that was only on vehicles where the pump has been replaced already?

Vehicle specs Mercon and Ford says Mercon V supersedes Mercon.

So that is officially what you should use.

In a power steering system, I doubt you'll have any problems with regular Mercon or something that claims to be compatible with Mercon or Mercon V. Or any power steering fluid that claims to be compatible with any power steering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back