01 Focus pedal height adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmf

My mother's 2001 Focus SE wagon's brake booster began leaking air so I replaced it. Now the new brake booster rod does not extend far enough into the cabin to depress the brake light sensor. The kicker is, there is no way to adjust the length of the rod inside the cabin. The yoke connects to the rod and from that point onward is covered by a plastic cylinder. There is no locknut or anything on the part of the rod within the cabin.

There is the usual star locknut and a 7mm domed end nut on the end of the push-rod that presses on the master cylinder. I don't even know if that will help my plight of lack of rod length within the cabin but I cannot for the life of me even get the star locknut loose. Is this how I adjust the pedal height? If so is there a special tool for it?

I realize this is very vehicle specific but I figure someone might know. Again there is no way to adjust the pedal height on the cabin side of the firewall, none whatsoever. Thanks.

Oh and the star locknut for the engine side of the firewall is within the brake booster. Fully depressing the pedal gets it almost to the end of it, but not quite. So it is very difficult to grip, and more difficult to turn the 7mm nut while holding it. That's why I'm wondering if there's a special tool.

Yeah the one in the engine compartment is just for the length of the push rod for the master cylinder (which does not need adjusting). This is what the company suggests about adjusting pedal height:

"Adjust pedal stop or stop light switch behind brake pedal if necessary."

It's non-adjustable so I guess I'm gluing something to the back of the pedal so it can depress the brake light switch/cruise control switch, awesome. This is a re-manufactured OE unit btw. It looked exactly the same as the OE unit I took out. While I have no idea why it's a different length, it makes no sense to me that there's no way to adjust it. Ford... never again.

I would delete this thread if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back