01 Cherokee ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has an 01 Cherokee. Can someone tell me for sure which ATF is recommended? I thought I remembered something about Cherokees using DexIII, but can't remember for sure. Thanks in advance.

Greetings:

Is it a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee? If it is a Cherokee it has the Aisin Warner transmission which takes Dex III. If it is a Grand Cherokee it will have a Chrysler transmission and requires ATF+4.

I don't think the Aisin Warner box is supposed to use ATF+4 due to the additional friction modifiers. If that is what it has, use Dex III (or Dex VI.)

If it is a Chrysler transmission make sure to use ATF+4. ATF+4 is key to their longevity.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: dnastrau
Greetings:

Is it a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee? If it is a Cherokee it has the Aisin Warner transmission which takes Dex III. If it is a Grand Cherokee it will have a Chrysler transmission and requires ATF+4.

I don't think the Aisin Warner box is supposed to use ATF+4 due to the additional friction modifiers. If that is what it has, use Dex III (or Dex VI.)

If it is a Chrysler transmission make sure to use ATF+4. ATF+4 is key to their longevity.

Andrew S.

X2

If its a Cherokee (not a Grand), with the 4.0 and an auto, then the AW-4 tranny should get Dex III. This was the factory specified fluid, from 1987 (at least the predecessor to DEX III) until the Cherokee was retired in 2001.

Chrysler has issued a TSB in the last few years that now says using ATF+4 is OK in the AW-4. Others have used Dex III as originally specified for hundreds of thousands of miles. I know which way I'd go...

As far as Amsoil's recommendations (again if it's the XJ 4.0 w/AW auto) both the AFT and ATD are recommended. Both are rated for Dex III, with the ATF covering just about everything else (+4, etc)

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
As far as Amsoil's recommendations (again if it's the XJ 4.0 w/AW auto) both the AFT and ATD are recommended. Both are rated for Dex III, with the ATF covering just about everything else (+4, etc)

I assume you mean ATF rather than AFT.

If its Grand Cherokee, then only ATF as its not a AW transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back