00 Toy RAV4 7300 mi rotella T6 5/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
213700 on the clock.can was a PL20195.T6 looks like a keeper, given how brutal this winter has been I think it did alright.
open thermo seems to be the source of the fuel problem. had an OBD2 data logger on it as I thought there was a problem w/on board temp gauge, well there isn't. it'll get fixed when it gets warmer.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Interesting that's one year too old for 5w20

Or a 0W-20 for that matter.
That said the specified 5W-30 is way lighter than T6 5W-40 especially for winter use that's not even seeing normal operating temp's.
When the OP was still running the 5W-30 I would of likely taken an oil pressure test on this high mileage unit before deciding to run the heavy 40 grade oil.
If his oil pressure is normal I'd go back to a 5W-30 at least for winter use and take another UOA.

Looks like even with a little fuel dilution, the T6 manages to keep wear levels low and even cut down on the lead. With those results and the price, it seems like the way to go. If there ever was a one size fits all oil, T6 would probably be it lol.
I bet after you change the thermostat, you will have some beautiful UOA's with this oil.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
Looks like even with a little fuel dilution, the T6 manages to keep wear levels low and even cut down on the lead. With those results and the price, it seems like the way to go. If there ever was a one size fits all oil, T6 would probably be it lol.
I bet after you change the thermostat, you will have some beautiful UOA's with this oil.

And once again you're falling into that UAO trap of concluding a better lube from a few ppm of wear numbers which is not the purpose or role of a UOA in the first place.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

And once again you're falling into that UAO trap of concluding a better lube from a few ppm of wear numbers which is not the purpose or role of a UOA in the first place.

Unless of course, you can use them to plug TGMO ...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3169926

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Believe it or not, but different oils will immediately show small changes that another oil may not have done. It's not just chance that the two times RTS was used that lead decreased and viscosity held up despite a bad thermostat.

just a quick update
FF and thermo changed it also tossed an SES w/lean condition. changed the 02 sensor now runs a lot better. will see how the next UOA comes out. since the 02 and thermo were bad I'm betting it was running really fat. G/F said it was using less gas so for her to notice that it had to be running bad. will see what shakes out next UOA but I think the fuel problem will go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back