00 Mustang 3.8L 5000 miles on PP 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.8L V6, 100,000 miles on motor. Second UOA on this vehicle. Again PP shows well. Iron is higher but it is my son's car, he is in college, lives near campus, and makes a lot of short trips.

http://72.35.72.219/~library/15563/Mustang_UOA_11_2011.pdf

Wally-Mart was out of PP so I got M1 5w-30 High Mileage, will get a 5000 mile UOA to compare. Neither of my kids put on miles very quickly, so it might be a while, plus their cars do a lot of short trips.

May be a good switch to the M1 HM, who knows...the oil did not shear though so it does not appear to be a "too thin issue". I don't know what there really is that you can do but monitor.

Thanks for posting the UOA

Thank you very much for posting a UOA for this car with the 3.8 liter engine. There are not many on here with that combination and since I own one I appreciated seeing the results.

Originally Posted By: OceanRocket24
Thank you very much for posting a UOA for this car with the 3.8 liter engine. There are not many on here with that combination and since I own one I appreciated seeing the results.

You're welcome. I get a UOA on this car once in a while, not so much for the oil but looking for water and coolant in the oil because this engine is known for head gasket failure. I had a Lincoln Continental with the same engine and it lost a head gasket around 112k. The dealer mechanic was surprised it lasted that long.

Si is high for the miles - I suspect a good chunk of the wear is abrasive grit in the engine. That plus the short trips explains it.

Hopefully, the HM oil will help. Another option I'd use is a 5W-40 HDEO, like Rotella T6.

There is no sodium in the pp uoa. I wonder where it came from?? As well as where the tin and iron came from. Even though antifreeze said 0% it seems like there was some in the oil. Maybe im wrong but looks funny.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyO
Originally Posted By: OceanRocket24

You're welcome. I get a UOA on this car once in a while, not so much for the oil but looking for water and coolant in the oil because this engine is known for head gasket failure. I had a Lincoln Continental with the same engine and it lost a head gasket around 112k. The dealer mechanic was surprised it lasted that long.

That is a good check up every once in a while. I thought that the 94-98 3.8 liter had a head gasket issue, but I didn't know the 99-04 3.8 liter had head gasket problems. That's too bad the head gasket went on that car, those failures are expensive!

Yeah, I don't know what would make the tin jump like that unless it's also a product of a lot of short trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back