Energizer car batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only three different make auto batteries, is there a difference in quality between the batteries they produce? Or is there just a different sticker on the side of it?

For example, if Johnson Control makes Die Hard and Duralast, is there a difference between the two, other then the sticker?

I don't think so. I use Kirkland Signature (Costco) batteries--they are easily $20 cheaper than anywhere else, and made by Johnson Controls.

I agree. I only use Interstate due to the maintenance possible opening vent caps. Though I have not checked the water lately (9 degrees on the way home this morning at 3:30, so that could be why).

Are those caps really designed to be removed? I've heard conflicting information.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/storie...24792&EDATE

In millions of vehicles, lead-acid batteries start people on billions of journeys every day. Yet as car engines become more complex and the technology of automotive batteries advances, motorists seem to be confused about the proper maintenance of the batteries under their hoods. The article, "Auto Batteries: Some Go the Distance" in the November 2005 issue of Consumer Reports, clouds the issue further.
The auto battery, made of lead, plastic and electrolyte -- a dilute solution of sulfuric acid and water -- is designed to deliver a short burst of high power to start the vehicle's engine. What does battery maintenance entail? Should motorists pry off the battery caps, check the electrolyte level and add water? And what does the term "maintenance-free" really mean?
Battery Council International (BCI), the trade organization representing the country's leading manufacturers and recyclers of lead-acid automotive, commercial, telecommunications and industrial batteries, provides clear and unequivocal recommendations.
Maintenance-free batteries
The Consumer Reports article states: "While some batteries with caps are claimed to be maintenance-free, any such model should have the electrolyte level beneath its caps checked at least yearly, according to Battery Council International, an industry group." This is incorrect.
According to BCI, the majority of today's auto batteries are maintenance-free. This means that motorists should not check or top off the electrolyte levels in maintenance-free batteries.
"Battery manufacturers provide instructions with their products, and a motorist should read and follow all of instructions that come with the battery," said Randy Hart, President of BCI. Mr. Hart also is President of Superior Battery Manufacturing, Co. in Russell Springs, Kentucky.
In addition, the battery label generally provides guidelines: many maintenance-free battery labels carry a "do not open" or similar statement. Finally, battery caps that appear to be removable may actually be glued or locked in place. "If a battery cap is meant to be opened, it can be opened without much effort. Forcing or prying these caps open may destroy or permanently damage the battery," Mr. Hart said.
Maintenance-accessible batteries
Every battery is not maintenance-free; a few auto batteries are referred to as "low water loss" or "maintenance accessible" batteries. In certain conditions, such as hot climates or high heat, it may be necessary for the motorist to add water. Here, too, the battery label will provide a guideline: these products typically do not carry a maintenance-free label or a statement that advises against opening.
For maintenance-accessible batteries, the motorist can check electrolyte levels by a few different measures. Some batteries have removable battery caps; others carry a "magic eye," a small, round device that floats to the top of the electrolyte; still others have a translucent case through which the fluid level can be seen. If the level is low, the motorist can top off the electrolyte by adding a small amount of distilled -- not tap -- water.
Battery Council advises against tap water, which can contain chlorine or other chemicals that can change the composition of the electrolyte. While today's auto batteries provide motorists with reliable service and long life, nothing lasts forever. All batteries eventually reach the end of their service lives. In addition, a battery can dry out and fail prematurely if the vehicle's electrical system malfunctions or fails. "But in a properly designed, voltage-regulated system, water loss should not cause maintenance-free batteries to fail," said Mr. Hart.
What about original equipment batteries that come with a new car? For the original vehicle battery, customers should follow the vehicle manufacturer's instructions about checking electrolyte levels. When it's time to replace the battery, the motorist should buy a compatible replacement and follow the instructions with the replacement battery.

Hey guys, are these the same quality as motorcraft batteries?

Beleive it or not, i have a 98 f150 with the factory battery in it.

Going on 9 years old and 80k miles.

Its been starting fine, but at the first hint of failure i'm ditching it.

Quote:

If only three different make auto batteries, is there a difference in quality between the batteries they produce? Or is there just a different sticker on the side of it?

For example, if Johnson Control makes Die Hard and Duralast, is there a difference between the two, other then the sticker?

Unlikely, given a particular size and manufacturer. However, there is a possibility that a brand may offer batteries at different levels, like a "standard" line and a "premium" line. There might be a real difference in quality between those two examples, but I think it would be the result of sourcing two different batteries from two different suppliers, rather than two different batteries from one supplier, though the latter is not impossible either.

For the battery used in my car, I took a look at every brand that offered such a size, and found that they were all rated identically, even though the difference between the highest-priced and lowest-priced was about $40. Externally, the only physical differences were cosmetics; the labels and the color of a portion of the case for one brand. All were made by JCI. Other than price, the biggest differences were in the warranty terms, or perks like jump starting assistance, but even those differences were not great.

In shopping for a battery now, it's primarily a matter finding the correct size, and then choosing the price, warranty, and retailer that best suits your needs -- finding the sweet spot of all three factors. The batteries themselves are likely to have been made by the same manufacturer, so what you're looking for is convenience and the quality of service behind the warranty if something fails.

Energizer doesn't make any of their own stuff.
I've been to licensed factories in China cranking out their UPS's, for example. I know nothing of their car batteries. I've been too happy with Interstate
smile.gif

http://www.energizer.com/company/companyhistory.asp

Quote:

Unlikely, given a particular size and manufacturer. However, there is a possibility that a brand may offer batteries at different levels, like a "standard" line and a "premium" line. There might be a real difference in quality between those two examples, but I think it would be the result of sourcing two different batteries from two different suppliers, rather than two different batteries from one supplier, though the latter is not impossible either.

I was at Sam's Club today, and found an Energizer Group 75 battery for my Saturn. It had 720CCA and a 36-mo free replacement warranty, all for only $45. I'm definitely purchasing this battery when it comes time for replacement!
grin.gif

Anyway, to answer your question, here are my observations regarding the similarities between batteries from a single battery manufacturer's line-up. Below, I've listed batteries that are of the "premium" line-up from one manufacturer, Johnson Controls. They are all Group 75:

Diehard GOLD, 690CCA, 36-mo free replacement, $95
Kirkland Signature, 720CCA, 36-mo free replacement, $50?
Duralast GOLD, 720CCA, 36-mo free replacement, $80
Everstart MAXX, 690CCA, 36-mo free replacement, $69
Energizer, 720CCA, 36-mo free replacement, $45

As you can see, some of those batteries are suspiciously identical, while others have slightly lower CCA readings. I believe that while all of those batteries are from the premium line-up over at Johnson Controls, there may be some different models produced for different vendors. Otherwise, why would some batteries have 720CCA while others have 690CCA? Likewise, I recall reading from CR's test that certain batteries (all from the same manufacturer), from the same "premium" line-up, perform differently, IIRC.

Quote:

Read several opinion pieces here and there advising to check date codes and get a battery as new as possible.

I saw a battery on the shelf today that had a date code of 7/06! I feel sorry for the poor soul who purchases that battery. It was an off-brand Group 24 battery manufactured by Johnson Controls.

I purchased two Optimas for two different vehicles right after Costco started to carry them- don't remember when but they've sure lasted longer than any other battery I've ever had. Period.

For me it was worth the extra cost. YMMV. Don't know about Energizer auto batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back