Lifetime Haldex Filter: Warning, graphic pics!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

This isn't for the faint of heart. Here's my Freestyle Haldex filter @ 90K miles. For some background, older Gen I and II Haldex units called for a fluid and filter change every two years or so--or something like that...

The new and improved version uses lifetime fluid and filter. I decided to change it. Here's what I found:

29wak3o.jpg

ouch....

And, besides lifetime fluids and filters, there was this unsinkable liner......

The word lifetime has yet to be defined by any automaker. And, the term is used loosely and frequently now.

Yuck!

Ford defined lifetime for the new fiesta.

Quote:
The available class-exclusive* PowerShift six-speed automatic provides torque to the wheels 100 percent of the time, for an extra-connected feel. It’s equipped with a leak-free dry clutch technology and a neutral idle mode that helps eliminate drag and contributes to fuel efficiency. It’s also maintenance-free – with a fill-for-life transmission fluid that requires no dipstick – and designed to last up to 150,000 miles.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/fiesta/features/#page=Feature2

Is that the fluid or the transmission that is designed to last 'up to' 150k miles :)

Dry clutch? Is that simply a manual transmission with some programmed hydraulics doing the clutch pedal work? VW DSG clone!

Fill-for-life = 150k miles Thats lame. I wonder if resale value will hit $0.00 at 150k miles !

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Yuck!

Those were my exact thoughts. The pictures really don't do it justice. You can see some of what came out to the right, but there was much more. About 2 or 3 oz. of what looked like chunky bile started oozing out as soon as I loosed the filter cap. I tried to pull the filter apart to take some pics of the media, but It's glued in and not coming out easily. Needless to say it packed full of black stuff.

The crazy thing is that there's an easily-serviceable filter on this thing; two 4mm allen bolts to remove the cover and you pop out the filter. That's it. And yet, there's no mention of this filter anywhere in the factory service manual, in any exploded diagram...nothing. I was looking for this filter for about 2 years and finally found the part# on Swedespeed in a post about a V50.

While buying some of the "lifetime fluid" last week, a tech at a local dealer spoke to me about the whole lifetime fluid thing. He basically admitted that it's to reduce expected service hassles/costs to the original owners. Then he said "most people don't worry about changing the fluid--it's not a big deal because after 100-150K miles, we have to open the units up for service anyway. We just replace the fluid then".

Umm..no kidding... The Haldex unit has a small (expensive) pump sending this bile through the Haldex unit. I don't see any way that pump was going to make it much past 150K miles pushing that stuff through. Kinda lame in my book to plan for failure @ 150K when it could likely be avoided by some pretty basic maintenance. They removed the drain bolt and put a cover over the filter head so you don't really no it's there. Sealed for life.

Anyway, the fluid is clear. I did a double "suck out with vacuum pump and re-fill", and changed the filter. Given the condition of this filter and the stuff that came out, I think I'm going to pull this filter after about 2,000 miles and take a look at it. I may need to do a short run just to clean things up, then go to an every 2 yr. change, as was originally recommended. Keep in mind that wholesale on the viscous coupling lubricated by this oil, the pump and the control module have a dealer cost of around 4K or so. I've seen them used/junk yard for really cheap--but that's not really the point.

JOD, your experience just PROVES that "lifetime fluid" is a lie.

Originally Posted By: JOD
He basically admitted that it's to reduce expected service hassles/costs to the original owners.
I still think that's short-sighted. Sure, once the original sale has gone through and the car makes it through the warranty period, the manufacturer no longer cares what happens, but if a car is sold second-hand and the next owner has nothing but trouble with it, he isn't likely to ever buy a new car of the same brand, so they are losing future sales.

Definitely vote for a short run and to inspect the new filter.

Every 30k/2years has been my recommendation for all gear boxes for a long time. You can push it if you're lazy like me. But, by 50k/3yrs, most gear oils, ATF, PSF, fancy fill-for-life fluids, are dead.

That just looks nasty. What kind of heat does this thing see? It's only 90K and it's coked and gritty? Some type of I base oil?

Is this the Haldex TC with the Volvo fluid recommendation?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
That just looks nasty. What kind of heat does this thing see? It's only 90K and it's coked and gritty? Some type of I base oil?

Is this the Haldex TC with the Volvo fluid recommendation?

Yep, this is the viscous coupler. Basically, it's a computer-activated wet clutch which sits in front of a rear differential. The rear differential has its own fluid (which also looked really bad, but no chunks).

Here's a picture of the unit for those interested:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l64/JAGMAN06/Haldex_awd_generation_3-01.jpg

There's no alternative for the fluid, Volvo AOC fluid is the only option. At $28.00 for 300ML I'd think it's not a type 1 base oil, but who knows?? I don't know what sorta heat it sees, but it obviously seems like too much for this fluid for this length of time.

It was working fine, BTW. So, it probably would have went humming along, until it didn't...

Here's a picture of the media opened up. Again, it's even worse than the picture. At least this little guy seems well-built. Steel mesh and a synthetic-appearing media:

2ykf8yd.jpg

Mostly (wet) clutch hunks I imagine. I'm really curious (not a recommendation) if you were to flush the thing, then change the fluid every week for a month or two or something, how much it would clean up, and if this would make a clutch life difference. I always have such clean thoughts....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Mostly (wet) clutch hunks I imagine. I'm really curious (not a recommendation) if you were to flush the thing, then change the fluid every week for a month or two or something, how much it would clean up, and if this would make a clutch life difference. I always have such clean thoughts....

Well, "flushing" is kinda difficult in the tradition sense, since there's no drain plug. You have to drain with a vacuum pump then put in new fluid.

The unit holds about 27 oz. I did a drain and fill getting out about 10 oz. Then a drain/filter change fill getting out about 14 oz.

I have 10 oz. of fluid on hand. I'll probably do 1 more drain/fill in a few days, then pull the filter in a month, after I have another one on hand. Honestly, I probably won't be happy until I withdraw fluid and it doesn't look horrible, so I may come close to doing what you're (not) suggesting! I'll update with some pics when I pull the filter again.

There haven't actually been too many reports of the clutch failing. I think the oil pump fails before the wet clutch implodes. That's the built-in safety net. Sheer genius...

On some Haldex units the oil pump can easily be removed and this is the lowest drain point in the case.
On some units the prop shaft and flange has to be removed.

I might suggest contacting Haldex, they used to be easy to deal with and their recommendation on fluid and filter service used to differ dramatically from Volvo.

The fluid used to be semi synthetic however they changed the fluid formula some years ago.

Viscosity 100°C mm²/s 6.7
Viscosity, 40°C mm²/s. 35

Filter kit Volvo part#30787687
Includes new cover with o ring filter and bolts.

Originally Posted By: Fredric_Flod
On some Haldex units the oil pump can easily be removed and this is the lowest drain point in the case.
On some units the prop shaft and flange has to be removed.

I might suggest contacting Haldex, they used to be easy to deal with and their recommendation on fluid and filter service used to differ dramatically from Volvo.

The fluid used to be semi synthetic however they changed the fluid formula some years ago.

Viscosity 100°C mm²/s 6.7
Viscosity, 40°C mm²/s. 35

Filter kit Volvo part#30787687
Includes new cover with o ring filter and bolts.

Thanks for the info. I'll contact them directly, since the auto manufacturer doesn't provide much detail on servicing the unit. You're right, the oil pump is definitely the low point of the unit, and it doesn't look too difficult to remove.

Do you know by any chance if there's a sub-part number for the filter-only? I bought 30787687, and it's pretty obvious most of the cost is in the machined aluminum end cap. If I could pick up a few of the filters by themselves, I'd be a lot more inclined to do a couple of short runs on the filter. Then again, if I pull the oil pump, that should allow me to get out enough fluid to put me at ease.

No only the complete kit available for the newer models.

For the old gen1 Haldex Volvo still have only the filter however this is a paper media filter that has to be changed every 30.000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Fredric_Flod
No only the complete kit available for the newer models.

For the old gen1 Haldex Volvo still have only the filter however this is a paper media filter that has to be changed every 30.000 miles.

OK, thanks. The $15.00 filter isn't going to break me, I just feel wasteful going through those end caps needlessly. They're pretty impressive looking.

In looking at my car, it's looking like the drive shaft may actually have to come out to pull out the Haldex pump. I could, however, loosen it to let the fluid drain. Any thoughts on that method of draining the fluid? Here's a pic I nicked from someone else. You can see the drive shaft gets in the way of pump removal:

2hnnhx4.jpg

It is hard to see from that angle, it looks the same as Volvo with a gap of 2-3mm that is not enough room to release the fluid pass the o ring.

I would normally recommend to vacuum the fluid out but the pump has a screen on the inlet side and it might be a good idea to clean it.

I got a reply from Heldex about maitenance and here it is.

From Haldex point of view there is no need to exchange the oil or filter. There is no need for any preventive maintenance on the unit during the life of the vehicle. However, if information differ between Haldex and car manufacturer, the car manufacturer information overrules Haldex. To drain old oil the Haldex must be removed from the differential, to enable this the prop shaft need to be removed first.

The oils in Haldex compartment and differential unit must absolutely not be mixed, the Haldex oil has been carefully developed to fit the Haldex system, filling differential oil in the Haldex compartment will damage the system.

The part number suggested is correct for the filter spare part.

Best Regards

Angeliqa

HALDEX TRACTION SYSTEMS DIVISION
Marketing Coordinator

Angeliqa Jönsson

Box 505

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back