Brad Penn 10W-30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sample was taken from oil purchased at Action Auto Parts in Seattle, WA. Action and their associated machine shop highly recommend Brad Penn and they move a lot of it - these stocks were fresh and have the latest labeling by Brad Penn.

These are better than past results and close to 1200 ppm that I consider the threshold for flat-tappet cam use, but nowhere near the claimed 1500 ppm ZDDP.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/attachme...oils-e07472.pdf

B-P is very, very old school - they blend their oils the way they would be in the 1960's/1970's - low Ca, Mg detergent, and high zinc/phos.

Hi Billa,

ZDDP is a special brew of phosphorous pentasulfide, alcohols, and zinc.

This means that ZDDP is made up of three elements, phosphorous, sulfur, and zinc.

A 1500 ppm ZDDP add will get you about what you saw in your analysis because the number of atoms of each element is NOT the same.

We had a UOA of the Penn Grade 1 Straight 40 wt. done last year and it had 1500 ppm of zinc and 1435 ppm of phosphorous.

Thanks; I agree those elements are present in unequal amounts, but I don't agree with your conclusion that the VOA demonstrates 1500 PPM ZDDP. Zinc and Phosphorus are the primary components with traces of others. Not arguing, just respectfully disagreeing.

I think everyone is confusing ZDDP with the elements Zn and P.
ZDDP is about 10% by weight Zn and P, respectively; usually about 10-15% less P than Zn due to 2 things:
the atomic weight of 2 P atoms is slightly< than the atomic weight of 1 Zn atom
in the mfg of ZDDP some excess Zn (actually ZnO) is used.
An oil with 1500 ppm Zn will be ~15000ppm or 1.5% ZDDP, depending on the molecular weight (primarily related to the carbon #) of the alkyl groups in the alcohol(s) used to make it.
A typical straight chain alcohol used to make ZDDP is the 7 carbon straight chain heptanol, or 6 carbon hexanol.
Phenol used to be used to make aryl ZDDP for diesel oils, but not any more.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: billla
Thanks; I agree those elements are present in unequal amounts, but I don't agree with your conclusion that the VOA demonstrates 1500 PPM ZDDP. Zinc and Phosphorus are the primary components with traces of others. Not arguing, just respectfully disagreeing.

Molakule is someone who doesn't just say things to say them and is very knowledgeable on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back