Outstanding Brad Penn UOA 10w30 on 2.0FSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA was recently posted on Vortex. Assuming this is regular use, this UAO is outstanding IMO. Shear is lowest we have recorded on this engine at 5% in 4000 miles. Flashpoint retention is superb. Metals are very low. I don't normally post other people's UOAs but this one I think people need to see.

We need to verify that this was not an all-highway run and that it is needs to be tested on more engines but extremely promising results! (Note if run all highway, it is hard to tell much other than the low shear becasue all highway runs on this car look good with most any oil).

BradPennUOA.jpg

Here are the Brad Penn specs:

http://www.amref.com/CMSFiles/File/bp_pb/7126_50_44_58_19_BP_PG1_Multigrade_HP_Oils_PB.pdf

Interesting on the insolubles. So that raises a few questions:

1) Is the 0.2 difference enough to be beyond the "noise" level? Like Gary I always see 0.3 or 0.4 on almost all UOAs and it seems to me that the tiny difference isn't enough to be significant but what do you think?

2) If the 0.1 or 0.2 is significant enough to tell us anything, would the insolubles likely be due to oxidation, or due certain components of the oil, or something else?

3) Would either the oxidation or oil components increase the chance of valve deposits for this DI engine?

My semi-educated guess is that the 0.5% insolubles has a somewhat low probability that it really was 0.3% but a fair probability that it really was 0.4%. If the noise really is often two units from the mean, I'd expect to see more results than I do of 0.1% and 0.5%, which occur infrequently. The result is not cause for alarm, just something to calmly try to improve and monitor. The easiest way to improve it is to change the oil even more often but that doesn't get at the cause. Getting at the cause would be awesome but it may not be easy to do.

The oil wasn't used for a long interval and the viscosity is near the virgin value, so I think the insolubles are mostly from fuel combustion products. Gasoline direct injection engines do produce soot that is similar to diesel soot. Another possibility is that insolubles were lodged in the engine from the past and somehow were suspended in this oil. I'd rule that out unless something unusual was done or happened (cleaning products were used, engine was opened up, previous OCI(s) were too long, etc.).

I do think that an oil's insolubles will end up end up on the intake valves because I think they hitch a ride on the oil droplets that the PCV system spits on the valves.

Wow. You're absolutely right, the B-P oil did really well in an engine that is know to tear oil up.

Funny thing is, B-P oil are probably a lot cheaper than some of the high-end oils that are touted as a 'fix' to the 2.0 turbo problems. Some proof hear that the most expensive solution isn't always the best one........

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Wow. You're absolutely right, the B-P oil did really well in an engine that is know to tear oil up.

Funny thing is, B-P oil are probably a lot cheaper than some of the high-end oils that are touted as a 'fix' to the 2.0 turbo problems. Some proof hear that the most expensive solution isn't always the best one........

Most of us here already knew that though, right? I mean, quotes like "whatever's on sale" :)

Haha... You're right though.

Quote:
My semi-educated guess is that the 0.5% insolubles has a somewhat low probability that it really was 0.3% but a fair probability that it really was 0.4%. If the noise really is often two units from the mean, I'd expect to see more results than I do of 0.1% and 0.5%, which occur infrequently.

Yeah, the resolution is too low. If they gave us a figure of .27 ..or .22, then the .3x, .4x, .5x number would mean something. As it is, you increment upward in some relative high magnitude.

I think the real thing to be gained/learned from this UOA is that an Audi owner has an engine with an optimum tune level, or he/she is a road warrior. I'd be looking for the secret to their success, rather than what oil they use.

Update: The OP who ran the Brad Penn reports that the run was about 2/3 highway and 1/3 city.

We've seen some great runs on base 502 oils that looked fine when 95% highway or so, but nearly all runs with more mixed use are beat up badly by 5k miles. This Brad Penn UOA had shear about 1/2 of the best performing oils in this engine. That plus the high ZDDP levels make this oil very intriguing to me.

I'll probably try the Brad Penn 10W40 on my next fill for the 2.0 FSI, unless my current mix of redline 5w30/10w40 blows me away. It would be a neat comparison between the redline and Brad Penn. Very curious how this oil would do with testing in more cars with the oil-destroying 2.0 FSI.

Just shows what diesels have been proving for years. You don't need a syn in turbo application to have good results with a modest oci.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Wait, I thought this was a synthetic?

Only their 0w30 is a syn blend. The rest is conventional IIRC.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: shpankey
Wait, I thought this was a synthetic?

Only their 0w30 is a syn blend. The rest is conventional IIRC.

Their 0w30 is ~65% PAO according to their most recent MSDS.

Well maybe an excellent report but I don't know how to compare how good the B-P oil is unless there are other numbers to compare. For example Patmans Vette is a excellent engine it always puts out great looking UOAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back