890 Phosphorus
994 Zinc
17 Magnesium
1696 Calcium
00 Sodium
07 Potasium
02 Silicon

11.74 cst vis

The oils approved for DPF (diesel particulate filter) use are higher in zinc and phosphorous than I expected.

Oils meeting the VW 507 (for their '09 common rail TDI) and oils meeting Mercedes-Benz 229.51 (for their '07 and newer common rail TDI) are supposed to be in the 600 PPM range with regard to phosphorous.

Obviously there is a variance in this requirement but I've NEVER seen it above 1000 PPM. The Castrol SLX Professional LL03 is sold through VW Dealers at a reasonable price of $7,99 per liter but it's only available in the 5W-30 to meet VW's 504/507. For my CR-TDI Jetta I'm likely going to start on my second oil change and use the Mercedes-Benz approved 229.51 rated 5W-40 simply because I am of the mind set that the viscosity is the most important aspect of lubrication. My 'hands on' experience in these high speed, direct injected engines is that the 5W-40 viscosities shows benefits in the higher mileage engines. When VW allowed the 5W-30 viscosity in their 505.01 rated oils for the PD-TDI's I started reading of exponentially higher engine problems with the valve train.

Was this coincidence and simply a result of more vehicles on the road or was it due to the same additive package being added to a lighter viscosity oil? I don't know,, but I do put 100's of thousands of miles on my cars and even in the 21st century I still think a high compression diesel engine (16:1 on my new CR-TDI) benefits from a sturdier base oil.

Bought the 09 TDI 12/31/08. I'm not comfortable with the first oil change at 10k. So I changed it at 5k using SLX Pro. Will let VW change the oil at 10k (3d week in March) and sample at 15k.

Neil, I just bought my Jetta on 21 Feb. I am also going to do a 5,000 mile oil change with the SLX Pro LL03. Did you get the LL03 or just the SLX Professional? My local dealership didn't even stock the 504/507 oils for the new common rail. They said that the part number had been superceded to the old 505.01. What had been superceded was the application of 507 in place of 505.01 and not the other way. P/N for 505.01 is: G 052 167 A2 and not approved for the common rail engine. P/N for the 504/507 is GVW 052 195 M2 and the ONLY specification approved at this time for the common rail.

I won't use the dealership for the free maintenance. I've seen and personally experienced too many incidents where their incompetence creates much too much headache for the owner.

Did VW change the initial OC recommendation for the 2009's, because our '05 TDI the manual actually said first oil change at 5000, then 10000 then every 10,000 thereafter.

We've been running the 505.01 flavor of the SLX but I think we're going to switch to Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. No its not VW spec 505.01 but the cam wear issue on the PD's seems to call for the extra ZDDP the M1 TDT will have in the add pack.

Yup, the new VW recommendations are 10,000 miles for the first service, then every 10,000 miles thereafter.

For Audi, the recommendations are 5,000 miles for the first service, then every 10,000 miles thereafter.

Lone Ranger, VW did change the initial drain interval on the 2009 models. I believe that this has more to do with their free maintenance agreement than with any technical ability for the engine to go so long on the initial fill.

I previously stated that I was likely going to use the MB 229.51 oil but I've changed my mind. I am getting a crazy idea of adding 5 ounces of Schaeffer's #132 MOly E.P. to my oil at change time. I'm trying to get some information from Schaeffer about the impact this might have on the sulfur and ash content of the oil and if it could possibly cause damage to the exhaust system.

Neil, I agree with you 100% on the dealer maintenance. If anyone is going to damage or ruin my car it's going to be ME! That's half the fun of owning these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back