Engine oil life system parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume most are similar, but are any special and consider data that other systems don't. Are there any lists of parameters that a manufacturers systems read?

I know Honda and GM systems seem to be considered reliable here, are there any other systems that are worse or even better than these?

Were there ever any systems that did any actual tests of oil quality?

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
Were there ever any systems that did any actual tests of oil quality?

Yes, some of them actually have sensors that estimate oil's condition based on its dielectric properties instead of just being based on an algorithm.

As far as those that are purely algorithm based, there are many different formulas, too, some more elaborate than others. Some are very simple (doesn't mean inferior), for example basing OCI on amount of fuel burned, like in my 530i.

If oil condition can be read by a resistance probe, why aren't there oil condition testers you could stick down the dip stick tube?

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
If oil condition can be read by a resistance probe, why aren't there oil condition testers you could stick down the dip stick tube?

My guess is that it's not just the probe reading alone that gives the result. It's possibly the probe reading with a combination of some algorithm based on usage patterns. A standalone probe will not have all that info, but a car's ECU will.

My car apparently uses a variety of factors:

- Cold starts
- Engine temperatures
- Spirited driving when cold
- Distance/Fuel used

The Service-Indicator 2 or 3, IIRC, switched to the purely fuel-based algorithm.

Some also use ambient temperature, length of time the engine is on, and time to operating temperature as parameters in the algorithm.

Just too bad it can't sense all environmental conditions that affect oil life. Like how I have to regularly drive very dusty gravel roads, even just to get to and from my home. I just use a miles/hrs parameter and ignore the OLM in my pickups.

I have heard good things about Ford's IOLM but have not seen any evidence. I usually change my Ford at 10%-20% remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back