Interesting experience tightening drive belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the PS pump off my Accord today to replace the leaking cover gasket. When I went to put everything back on and tighten up the PS belt, the steering wheel bound up and squealed upon turning and the PS pulley seized up. I thought I tightened the belt to the original tightness but obviously this wasn't the case. This pump requires a 1/2 in drive ratchet to lift it up/down to achieve proper belt tension. I tried three more times but the belt still squealed and seized up upon turning the wheel -- albeit less and less after each attempt. I then put an 18 in pipe on my ratchet and pulled the pump up with all my might and locked the belt down. Only then was everything whisper quiet again. Boy was that a tense hour or so.

So FYI to anyone with a Honda PS pump set up like this: Make sure to have a long breaker bar or pipe to yank that pesky pump ALL the way up or else the belt will be too loose.

Last edited:
I lived with squealies on cold starts & under high electrical load on my '97 MPV for a few months before finally just making time to tighten the alternator belt. (Didn't want to do it at -35 C.)

PS belt squealing is much rarer. Glad you got it.

So I take it this is isn't set up with a "jack screw" type arrangement? I helped my dad with some belt driven accessory on his 1980 fairmont that took three hands to cinch down... I was "bolt kid" while he was "pry guy".

My Subaru has two accessory drive belts... one belt runs the PS and alternator, the other the AC ...

The PS / Alternator belt is adjusted with a jack screw type adjuster...

The AC belt is a stretch fit belt... ??? Yes, STRETCH FIT... ! You use a special tool to stretch the belt over the pulley, kind of like mounting a tire. Needs a special (expensive...) belt.

No one I asked had ever heard of one before... me included.

Last edited:
Stretch fit belts are easy to install. Zip tie them to the accessory pulley and start the engine.

Although I realize that it might be difficult to do that on an ac pulley, it works great for others

Those stretch belts are just another way to save money...no need for a spring tensioner.

Originally Posted By: hansj3
Stretch fit belts are easy to install. Zip tie them to the accessory pulley and start the engine.

Although I realize that it might be difficult to do that on an ac pulley, it works great for others
Are you saying that the zip tie has just enough strength to put the belt on the pulley but the breaks on its own letting the pulley continue to run with the belt?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Those stretch belts are just another way to save money...no need for a spring tensioner.
Heh heh, A good way to idiot proof an adjustment, eliminate it. When prying be careful of pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back