Details on free Windows 10 offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across this this morning while searching for someone else. We've discussed this here before, so I thought I'd share. Bottom line up front: if you're a consumer on Windows 7 or 8 (and not a business/enterprise/etc), then Windows 10 is free.

Yahoo article

I personally have one XP machine in the house. I will need to upgrade that to 7, and then I can make the jump to 10 on it this summer.

I've had the test version of 10 for a while now. Very nice, smooth, finally refined. Cortana works, and while the metro interface is up, there is a familiar start menu and toolbar at the bottom. Likely the best offering from MS yet.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I ran across this this morning while searching for someone else. We've discussed this here before, so I thought I'd share. Bottom line up front: if you're a consumer on Windows 7 or 8 (and not a business/enterprise/etc), then Windows 10 is free.

Yahoo article

I personally have one XP machine in the house. I will need to upgrade that to 7, and then I can make the jump to 10 on it this summer.

I would look at a computer closely that runs WinXP before upgrading. Is the processor a 64 bit processor? How much memory can it run with?

Is Windows 10 more like W7 or W8?
I avoided W8 because I liked the W7 format much better.

It sounds really good I am waiting to discover the "catch".

My system is on 7 and is rock solid.

I have Draftsite, Corel X7, and the Free versions of Adobe CS2 Suite...

Also I have Office 2007 Home and Student... All paid software. Office 360 will be subscription only.

Do I really want to migrate away and everything "breaks"? That could be very expensive!!

Very tempting offer if it is a seamless, free migration to 10.

...BUT is 10 better than 7?? Can I get a free download of a Windows 10 install DVD to backup in case I get a virus or do I have to reinstall 7 then patch it to 10?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken

My system is on 7 and is rock solid.

My thoughts exactly.

I am wondering if my Smart TV will be able to do DLNA streaming as solidly with Win 10 as it does with Win 7 ...
That would be a function i'd hate to lose.

So what's the best deal on 7 as an upgrade from XP? I've seen some UK outfits offering harddrives with official 7 on them apparently extracted from otherwise notrepairable computers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So what's the best deal on 7 as an upgrade from XP? I've seen some UK outfits offering harddrives with official 7 on them apparently extracted from otherwise notrepairable computers.

As long as you get a license key. I have an OEM copy of Windows 7 to install on any system as long as one has the license key.

I have recently read articles saying basically there is not much money in PC based operating systems. Maybe Microsoft will switch to the free OS, but pay for support. The money is in the applications. You have one OS but many applications. But if you own the operating system, you can do things that will make your applications run best, although you typically do have to externalize them (or risk the FTC going after you).

Widows users can thank Apple (and to a lesser extent Linux) for this.

As usual, enterprise users can continue to bend over for Microsoft.

A hint from someone who does Tech Support...

Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive, and save your old one.
If the install goes FUBAR, you can always reinstall the old hard drive...

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Widows users can thank Apple (and to a lesser extent Linux) for this.

Apple users can thank MSFT for saving Apple from death in 1997 with a measly $150M investment.

What would be the reason to upgrade to 10?

Windows 10 is a marketing response to the dud called windows 8, just as windows 7 was rushed after the vista debacle; chances are enterprise users (read paid support) probably indicated w8 would not see the light of day on corporate desktops.

I use w7 on my work laptop and am no big fan with UI, just my preference, i know.

I don't really understand what windows OS is now, it is a kernel and the UI just keeps getting repackaged and sold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
A hint from someone who does Tech Support...

Install Windows 10 on a new hard drive, and save your old one.
If the install goes FUBAR, you can always reinstall the old hard drive...

Just clone the HDD before the installation of Win 10 with a program like Redo Backup and Restore, or Clonezilla. If you have a problem or don't like Win 10, restore the old OS from that. No need for a new HDD at all.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Windows 10 is a marketing response to the dud called windows 8, just as windows 7 was rushed after the vista debacle; chances are enterprise users (read paid support) probably indicated w8 would not see the light of day on corporate desktops.

Windows 7 came out a full 2 1/2 years after Vista. That's not a rush job. I guess when you compare it to XP it is, but MS also changed their release timelines after Vista.

8 was only out 3 years after 7, for example.

10 will likely be 3 years after 8.

This is the new release paradigm and not a "rush" on anything, really.

Now that 10 is going to be more like "OS as a service" we may even see this approach accelerated.

Vista and 7 were based on the same code-base and were basically forks of the same project. It is easy to split MS OS release cycles up into dates but the actual development/release process doesn't tend to follow that as elegantly as it is often depicted.

Originally, once we pass WFWG 3.11 and NT 3.51 (but really starting with those products) we get into the consumer/business split where MS had essentially two project developments running in parallel. Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 for example shared what was essentially the same GUI but with nothing under the hood being all that similar. The NT (Business) product benefited from being a true 32-bit OS with preemptive multitasking so that the kernel could control resources.

Development-wise, running basically "beside" that was Windows 95, the consumer "revolution" product from Microsoft which brought the GUI that most probably remember MS for. It was, like 3.11, a shell running on top of a 16-bit subsystem (MS-DOS).

Of course 95 came out before NT4. The NT products had a longer development/testing process and this would remain the case until the lines were merged later on.

The NT products benefited from long term support and service packs. NT4, released in 1996, saw its last Service Pack (6A) in 2001.

In contrast, its "consumer" sibling, Windows 95 saw a "B" release and then Windows 98, an overhaul of 95 with some more features slapped on (but the same shell on top of DOS setup), was pushed to market in 1997. It was incredibly buggy (I was on the beta testing team for it) and subsequently it was no surprise that a second release of the product, addressing some of the bugs was released (98SE).

It was around this time that the next release of Windows NT, Windows NT5, began development. This was another product I beta tested and have a few of the early builds, still labelled NT5, on CD somewhere. It brought updated DirectX support and to coincide with this MS changed the name of it to Windows 2000 and attempted to target consumers with the product to push them away from the DOS-based family of OS's. Unfortunately, due to the difference in how many things were handled differently in the NT OS, this meant that it didn't play well with a decent number of games. A big issue for the consumer crowd. This led Microsoft to develop yet another incremental consumer release product, Windows ME, which was essentially yet another revision of the Windows 9x family, but they did a better job of trying to hide the DOS subsystem, and they slapped the Windows 2000 GUI on it for good measure.

It was a disaster. I think it was possibly the worst Microsoft product most can remember. A lot of half-finished poorly tested code in it, Microsoft put very little effort into it and into supporting it and it showed. They wanted everybody onto the NT codebase which was simply better in every way.

After 2000 was released (or perhaps around the same time) its successor began development, NT 5.1, the product we know as Windows XP. Updated GUI, better directX support, improved compatibility efforts for legacy applications and legacy code, it was Microsoft's first earnest attempt at pushing the NT products into the consumer realm. It was an incredible success and became somewhat of an issue for Microsoft in terms of long-term support as most are aware.

As XP neared completion Microsoft had already started working on its successor, codename Longhorn, which was supposed to feature a fully active Desktop (the web on the desktop) and a myriad of new features like an entire new filesystem....etc. It was a very optimistic endeavour and as the project trudged on it dragged WAY behind schedule. Ultimately, needing to push a new product to market, Microsoft wrapped up the "completed" or near completed features of Longhorn and spun them into the product that we know as Vista.

Development on the Longhorn code continued however, now under the codename Blackcomb. Many of the features of Blackcomb were eventually ported back to Vista through the "Platform Update" release, which came after SP2. Many argued that it should have just upgraded to 7 as they were originally really the same product.

After MS had a mature product on the market (7), they then began developing 8. The Metro UI received many negative reviews but MS pushed it to market anyways. That ultimately resulted in the rush push for the 8.1 update, which still, since it eliminated the start button, resulted in yet another push to get a product that brought that back out there, which brings us to Windows 10. Windows 10 looks a heck of a lot like Windows 8/8.1. (I'm running it right now). But it has a start "panel" that is reminiscent of the start Menu that many so heavily criticized MS for removing in 8. It is a hybrid of the traditional start menu concept and the Windows 8 start screen with live tiles that you can move around, like with the start screen, but it is convenient and doesn't dominate your primary screen every time you press it like the obnoxious start screen did.

Since 8 came out in the middle of 2012 and we are now into 2015, we are certainly adhering to the "approximate" 3 year release cycle that is associated with MS products if we ignore 8.1. However the actual lifecycle for the products varies wildly with XP and 7 having massively longer lifecycle's than Vista for example, and of course we DO have that interim 8.1 "update" (2013), do we count this as a product release or no? If yes, then we are no longer at three years
wink.gif

I see 10 being the next "7" or next "XP", with 8/8.1 becoming the next Vista, which was the next ME.

This is why the enterprise and business world (and by extension, those of us who work in it) generally avoid the interim release products and wait until a product is dubbed mature before adopting it. Most skipped Vista and went straight to 7. Most avoided 8/8.1 and will probably adopt 10.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Windows 7 came out a full 2 1/2 years after Vista. That's not a rush job. I guess when you compare it to XP it is, but MS also changed their release timelines after Vista.

8 was only out 3 years after 7, for example.

10 will likely be 3 years after 8.

This is the new release paradigm and not a "rush" on anything, really.

Now that 10 is going to be more like "OS as a service" we may even see this approach accelerated.

They can accelerate all they want; The 8000+ PCs where I work (I don't do windows work btw) have a life of 3 years; each year 1/3 of them are refreshed. This is all done AFTER a stable image is developed and custom apps are upgraded (this can take a year+). It is logistically impossible to have MS keep releasing versions and expect corporate environments to adopt every one of them; not happening. We still have some XP machines sandboxed in our environment (which is mostly w7) and w8 hasn't even been mentioned.

If by magic an approved w8 image were available today it would be over 3 years before the entire environment was upgraded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken

Presumably, once everyone has their 'free' upgrade, they'll announce a $200 a year subscription fee for Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back