Unknown brand filter C&P; 20K miles

Came off of a 2016-ish Infiniti QX60 with the 3.5 liter engine, 105,000 or so miles. Vehicle backstory was that it had been dragged out of a snowbank and had been sitting; We did some brake work, and had to replace a rear lower control arm that whomever did the pulling turned into an S, as well as repair the frame where they almost dragged the inner alignment cam bolt out of it. Anyway, we checked it out and the oil change sticker claimed it had been 20K miles since the last change. While the oil was nasty, there was also visible layers of slimy sludge inside the oil cap; sludge and filter condition both support it really having gone that far, and almost certainly more than once. We performed a BG Dynamic service to clean the trash out of the engine as best we could, and finally turned the maintenance reminder in the dash back on so it's hopefully annoying enough they get the oil changed next time it's due. As for the filter, I would guess by visual clues it was built by Champ, but honestly have no idea what brand it is. It's obviously got multiple holes in it, and the drainback valve was as hard as a rock and broke when I tried to bend it and see if it had any flexibility left. A Napa Gold filter and Thrive (bulk oil supplied by US Lubricants) 0w20 went back on and in. Amazingly the engine is quiet and ran well, we'll see if it ends up burning oil down the road.

20240419_165031.jpg

20240419_165036.jpg

20240419_165040.jpg

20240419_165042.jpg

20240419_165053.jpg

20240419_165058.jpg

20240419_165137.jpg

20240419_165143.jpg

20240419_165155.jpg

20240419_165219.jpg

Came off of a 2016-ish Infiniti QX60 with the 3.5 liter engine, 105,000 or so miles. Vehicle backstory was that it had been dragged out of a snowbank and had been sitting; We did some brake work, and had to replace a rear lower control arm that whomever did the pulling turned into an S, as well as repair the frame where they almost dragged the inner alignment cam bolt out of it. Anyway, we checked it out and the oil change sticker claimed it had been 20K miles since the last change. While the oil was nasty, there was also visible layers of slimy sludge inside the oil cap; sludge and filter condition both support it really having gone that far, and almost certainly more than once. We performed a BG Dynamic service to clean the trash out of the engine as best we could, and finally turned the maintenance reminder in the dash back on so it's hopefully annoying enough they get the oil changed next time it's due. As for the filter, I would guess by visual clues it was built by Champ, but honestly have no idea what brand it is. It's obviously got multiple holes in it, and the drainback valve was as hard as a rock and broke when I tried to bend it and see if it had any flexibility left. A Napa Gold filter and Thrive (bulk oil supplied by US Lubricants) 0w20 went back on and in. Amazingly the engine is quiet and ran well, we'll see if it ends up burning oil down the road.

View attachment 215207

View attachment 215208

View attachment 215209

View attachment 215210

View attachment 215211

View attachment 215212

View attachment 215213

View attachment 215214

View attachment 215215

View attachment 215216

Not good with those tears. What oil and filter went in and on? Thank You sir 🇺🇸🍺👍🇨🇦

we'll see if it ends up burning oil down the road.
You're saying there's a chance you will?
If it's a customer, they likely don't know they have a thoughtful and engaged mechanic.

Whenever I chat with someone about their newer vehicle, I always mention that they should avoid the "bargain oil change" and get it done right.
I immediately know if they know or not.

Yep, She's blown out. Pretty sure that's a luxury Pathfinder. I know on the older Infiniti's they were pushing a lot of HP to boot but 20k on a standard filter is not good. Happy to hear that you attempted to clean up the sludge with the cleaner.

You're saying there's a chance you will?
If it's a customer, they likely don't know they have a thoughtful and engaged mechanic.

Whenever I chat with someone about their newer vehicle, I always mention that they should avoid the "bargain oil change" and get it done right.
I immediately know if they know or not.
I'd say there is a chance, although I agree with you, it's pretty unlikely. We've had a few over the years that got burned by the bargain joints that ended up turning into good customers though.

Looking at endcap design with raised rings, louvered centertube, and bypass stamped spring combo, support your Champ Labs made conclusion.

Pleat spacing and amount of media not good, leading to eventual tear(s). 20k miles on what looks to be a jobber/value type filter not intended for that fci. With that oci it would seem maintenance not a priority, so the filter tears seen the least of it, imo.

Thanks for c&p.

Back