Post your latest brake job

Neighbor finally ordered the pads last week. I just got to it today. Now he needs to order the rear rotors also. Passenger side could be used but drivers side is quite gouged on outside. The outboard pad was on metal. Last place that did it I don't think cleaned and lubed the slides, they were like glue. Passenger side was missing the rubber plug to seal outside and bellows has a chunk out of it where it goes into caliper. I had to use the impact to get the caliper slide out. Luckily I had one of the rubber plugs from my old Sequoia in my brake-box-of-stuff. The old "grease" if you want to call it that was so sticky from water getting in there. Cleaned, wire brushed everything, got the rubber "tubes" out and cleaned them. The one on drivers side was twisted up and also causing binding. They also didn't put the swear sensors on the last set to help let you know they are getting low. I put them on the new ones and the worn re-using one.

I put 3 new Raybestos Element 3 pads on. Passenger side in and out, drivers side inboard. I took the pad that had life left to it and used it on outside, drivers side. I know I need to redo the whole thing when the rotors and new rubber boots come but at least he can get to work (NYPD) safely. The new pads will be fine to reuse with new rotors. Everything was moving nicely as it should.

View attachment 198328
View attachment 198330
View attachment 198331
View attachment 198332
View attachment 198336
View attachment 198333
View attachment 198334
Finally had a non raining weekend and schedules that matched up to put the new rear rotors on. One of the caliper slide pins was looking a bit ugly but I knew that would happen since boot was ripped. I had greased up as good as possible. It was still moving pretty good.

Didn't get any pictures this time but everything came off nice and easy. Put the new rotors on, replaced all the rubber boots/plugs. Cleaned up everything, re-greased, reassembled with pads from January except drivers side got the new pad installed that I kept in box so it wouldn't get destroyed on gouged rotor. The old original one that I put there took the shape of the gouges but was working fine and had life left still.

This one that had thickness and groove.
1713200148938.jpg

2015 Ford F-150
94k miles
V6 Turbo, manual parking brake
Off: original brakes, rotors, & brake fluid
On: NAPA premium rotors, SikentGuard pads, & flushed w/ Brembo DOT4LV

Original front pads were rusted to the brackets (passenger side), and one front slider pin was stuck in place (driver side). Rear brakes moved freely and were not totally spent, but this truck was essentially relying mostly on the rear brakes! Lug nuts were totally effed up and required a hammer to seat the socket.

Brake job from hell on our 2018 Grand Caravan.

Couldn’t get 2 lug nuts off, which resulted in the stupid decorative cap ripping off. Great… go buy an impact, they still wouldn’t budge. Go back to the store and get a blowtorch. VICTORY!

Caliper and brackets came off no problem, and the passenger side wheel was off in 10 seconds… but my god the rotors didn’t want to budge… more blowtorch it was and eventually got them off.

No idea what came off, bought it used in 2019 with 40k miles, now at 110,670 miles. Hopefully the fronts go easier…

Powerstop geomet rotors and ceramic pads went on.
IMG_0124.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg

Brake job from hell on our 2018 Grand Caravan.

Couldn’t get 2 lug nuts off, which resulted in the stupid decorative cap ripping off. Great… go buy an impact, they still wouldn’t budge. Go back to the store and get a blowtorch. VICTORY!

Caliper and brackets came off no problem, and the passenger side wheel was off in 10 seconds… but my god the rotors didn’t want to budge… more blowtorch it was and eventually got them off.

No idea what came off, bought it used in 2019 with 40k miles, now at 110,670 miles. Hopefully the fronts go easier…

Powerstop geomet rotors and ceramic pads went on.
View attachment 218886View attachment 218887
You got your money's worth... By the way, what's all that red stuff?

The aftermath of my boys learning several new swear words 😅

Here’s some bonus pics of the caliper bracket in case anyone was interested View attachment 218928View attachment 218929View attachment 218930View attachment 218931
Those brackets look a lot like the front brackets I removed from the F-150 (see the post above yours). I don't know if the guy drove into the intracoastal/ocean or what happened, but they looked like they were driven in the salt belt!

I also had two lug nuts that wouldn't succumb to the Ryobi impact (300 lb ft max). But if/when a lug nut doesn't budge, a 25" breaker bar (or shorter one w/ cheater) will always break it free. Those beauty covers are a PITA!

2016 Honda Odyssey off with the EBC green stuff elite pads up front and in with the TRW Pro pads. The EBC while they stopped good initially. They create dust at a rate that can not escape the pad chamfers and slot in middle so it makes a horrible grind noise at times but they also squeak like crazy.

IMG_8011.jpeg

IMG_8012.jpeg

Back