HR-V in limp mode after car wash - followed by weird noises underneath gear shifter

I spent the last few days at a cabin which required a little bit of off road.

The wheels had mud which threw off the balance so I went for a car wash yesterday evening.

10 minutes after the wash, the parking brake warning lights turned on. It went into some kind of limp mode because the car would frequently cut power while I was driving but if I let go of the accelerator and pushed down again, power would be restored. I think power was cut when RPM's were over 4000.

30 minutes after the wash, noises were heard directly underneath the gear shifter / electronic parking brake button.

Anyone know what's located in this area?

The car made it home safe and sound today (~400km). It was in that limp mode for the first 30 minutes but power was normal for the rest of the way.

At one point, I had to brake pretty hard and then accelerate quickly. The steering wheel warning light came on as well as traction control.

Was happy to see 0 codes for the transmission but those noises in the video do not spark confidence

Will take it to the mechanic this week.

IMG-2722.jpg
IMG-2723.jpg
IMG-2724.jpg

IMG-2719.jpg

Last edited:
Weird. Off-roading and having to wash enough mud that was throwing the balance off? Maybe some kind of damage to the electronics at the rear brakes? Did you blast the area pretty hard with a pressure washer? Maybe got a little too close to something with the high pressure from the car wash?

There was enough mud that one of the wheel well covers was coming off..

It was a touchless automatic car wash but not like one I've ever been to before. The pressure was very high and I drove extra slow at the beginning when it does the undercarriage / wheel wash so you might be right.

Back