Do you need better base oil to make 0w oils?

Bought my first 0w oil with the HPL SAE 0w-40. Always been a 5w-20 or 30 guy.

Does getting that good of cold weather flow mean a better base oil was used in the mix of base stocks?

What better base oils would you be referring to?

There are all kinds of new synthesized base oils that are being tested for formulations.

Different combinations of different types of base oils and different viscosities can result in better performance.

0W oils pretty much require at least some synthetic base stock, since the lightest conventional base stocks have high volatility and low flashpoint. However, a 0W oil can be achieved with a Group II/III synthetic blend, whereas better oils will use only Group III, GTL, or PAO.

I wouldn't shy away from a 5W-20 just because some of them use lower quality base stocks. If an oil has low Noack, low CCS, low pour point, and high flashpoint for the grade, then it will have quality base stocks.

What better base oils would you be referring to?

There are all kinds of new synthesized base oils that are being tested for formulations.

Different combinations of different types of base oils and different viscosities can result in better performance.
Like III + instead of III....or PAO or Esters. I know that Group III oils are good but aren't PAO and Esters still considered to be "better" and hence are more expensive?
I am just curious if these 0w oils need some PAO/Esters or other secret sauce ( synthesized oils) to make them work or can Group III do it alone?

Bought my first 0w oil with the HPL SAE 0w-40. Always been a 5w-20 or 30 guy.

Does getting that good of cold weather flow mean a better base oil was used in the mix of base stocks?
Yes, depending on the oil producer, there's a better chance the SP 0w oil is built better / more demands and has stronger Approvals than the 5w, as it relates to engines like the OP here is discussing here.. All the 0w Euro oils (that many here prefer) are proof of that.

Seems to have gotten it's start in Germany and Belgium with the Castrol oils in 0w30 around 15-20-something years ago, then slowly blossomed in multiple 0w viscosities since then.

Speaking of Castrol, I have both the Castrol EP 0w20 and the 5w20 in my garage. Both are used in my Frankenblends with Castrol Euro 5w40. The 0w20 has the tougher MB 229.71 Approval, but the 5w20 does not meet that somewhat rare .71' Approval.

Lastly, has anyone ever seen 5w16 or 5w8 on store oil shelves for all these high tech, modern TGDI engines running around the lower 48 States? Send a shout-out to Exxon-Mobil, SOPUS.....etc.... by email or phone and ask them why they are not served as factory-fill.
Please share with us their replies.

Last edited:
0W oils pretty much require at least some synthetic base stock, since the lightest conventional base stocks have high volatility and low flashpoint. However, a 0W oil can be achieved with a Group II/III synthetic blend, whereas better oils will use only Group III, GTL, or PAO.

I wouldn't shy away from a 5W-20 just because some of them use lower quality base stocks. If an oil has low Noack, low CCS, low pour point, and high flashpoint for the grade, then it will have quality base stocks.
So your answer would be no since you said a group II/III can do it. Thank you for clarification.
And don't start that "better oil" argument!.....😁

Yes, depending on the oil producer, there's a better chance the SP 0w oil is built better / more demands and has stronger Approvals than the 5w, as it relates to engines like the OP here is discussing here.. All the 0w Euro oils (that many here prefer) are proof of that.

Seems to have gotten it's start in Germany and Belgium with the Castrol oils in 0w30 around 15-20-something years ago, then slowly blossomed in multiple 0w viscosities since then.

Speaking of Castrol, I have both the Castrol EP 0w20 and the 5w20 in my garage. Both are used in my Frankenblends with Castrol Euro 5w40. The 0w20 has the tougher MB 229.71 Approval, but the 5w20 does not meet that somewhat rare .71' Approval.

Lastly, has anyone ever seen 5w16 or 5w8 on store oil shelves for all these high tech, modern TGDI engines running around the lower 48 States? Send a shout-out to Exxon-Mobil, SOPUS.....etc.... by email or phone and ask them why they are not served as factory-fill.
Please share with us their replies.
Honestly you could get away with an 8w8 or straight 16 oil down here. Most people who do their own maintenance probably run 5w30 or 15w40 or something because thiccer is better

Back