75W90 or 85W140

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '01 Burb with 3.73 LSD 2WD and need to have my fluid changed. According to a diff speciality shop, they have seen many rear end bearing fail in syn's? They also claim that the 75W90 is too thin. All they use and warranty is there 85W140 Chevron Delo Gear Lube. According to the PDS, they claim that it is the only mineral based oil that is certified by Eaton and others for the extended drains and warranty.

Is there any negatives or positives from going to a 85W140 over a 75W90? The owners manual calls for 75W90. I have talked to a lot of motorheads that do a lot of hotrod work and they all claim that this shop is the best shop in town and that the people are extremely knowledgable. They actually work on a lot of racing cars as well.

They reason that I need to change the fluid is that I have 38K and I have a howl sound coming from the rear end when making slow corners. I have talked to several people and they all claim that it is the rear end not working right because the FM are either weak or worn out.

Comments?

Kevin,

The C3500HD models with the 11" Dana diff spec a 75w-140 synthetic. Most of the others spec a 75w-90 synthetic gear lube. If you go with the heavier stuff the axle is going to run even hotter,so I'd check into it a bit more.

TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back