2012 Regal GS under valve cover... plus bad news

My Regal needs the vacuum pump replaced to cure an oil leak, so I decided to pull the valve cover and do an inspection. Boy am I glad I did:

1000002376.jpg

Look at that slop! I'm sure it's original @ 120k, so off to ZZP I go to order a complete timing set including their upgraded timing guides and bolts. I'm going to leave the actuators alone, but it will be getting new:

Vacuum pump
Valve cover gasket set
Complete timing set from ZZP
OEM VVT solenoids
Timing cover gasket w/ front crank seal
Whatever else I find while I'm in there

Add that to the rear wheel bearings it needs now, and I've got my work cut out for me. I also plan on getting some HPL engine flush when I order fluid to do a D&F on the transmission, I'm really unhappy with the deposits under the valve cover:

1000002374.jpg
1000002377.jpg

At least working on the LHU is as easy as pie...

Last edited:
Are you the Original Owner?
What oils have you used and what are your OCI"s?

Good Luck! Also, thanks for the Pics.

I'm the 3rd owner, the 2nd owner only put around 3k miles on it so all those deposits are from the first owner.

Right now it's got Castrol Euro Car 5w-30 in it with a Fram Ultra filter. I have no history earlier than that, unfortunately. I will say, the engine is silent at idle even now, aside from a little DI tapping.

That looks like a prime test candidate for Valvoline's Restore and Protect.
I actually just placed an order with HPL for 6 quarts of their 75w90, and threw in a quart of their engine cleaner for giggles. I only have ~3k miles on the current Castrol/Ultra combo, so maybe once it's down a quart I'll fill it with the HPL and run it for another 3k.
At least you have the ability to fix it. Doesn't look too far gone by any means.
That, and a beautiful shop to work in and 2 other vehicles to use in the interim. Now I don't have to be in a rush and everything will get done to a T. This car deserves it.

Bet MMO would clean that up pretty good if ran a couple of oil change cycles...but then there is the thought pattern of "just leave it there" because if you loosen up that carbon it has the go through some of the motor before the oil filter will catch it.

Bet MMO would clean that up pretty good if ran a couple of oil change cycles...but then there is the thought pattern of "just leave it there" because if you loosen up that carbon it has the go through some of the motor before the oil filter will catch it.
He'd be better off running gumout multi tune at one ounce per qt in the crankcase for 10-15 minutes drive time and throw the rest in the fuel tank prior and let PEA clean. Marvel is yesterday as is Seafoam. Run the @High Performance Lubricants Engine Cleaner after and if any left, use it sparingly over the next oil change intervals too.

What OCI are you doing going fwd? 5K?
I'm going to run the current HPL engine cleaner/Castrol Edge Euro combo for 2k miles or so (which would put the oil and filter @ 5k miles total use), then it's getting Pennzoil Euro L 5w30 and another Fram Ultra. 5k mile intervals from here on out.

Trust me - while you are in there do the actuators/sprockets also.

I left them alone. The Ecotec's have very stout actuators, I've yet to see one fail. It did get new OEM solenoids, however.

How does that work in terms of knowing when to replace the cam and crank sprockets. Do you go by visual wear or how the chain rides across them? It seems like some of the kits come with new sprockets and some don't. Provided they're not outrageous cost, I'd want them to be new as well.

Last edited:
How does that work in terms of knowing when to replace the cam and crank sprockets. Do you go by visual wear or how the chain rides across them? It seems like some of the kits come with new sprockets and some don't. Provided they're not outrageous cost, I'd want them to be new as well.
The sprockets themselves are a lifetime part, usually. The chain gets replaced due to stretch more so than physical wear, and the plastic guides are known to crack and send chunks through the engine.

The camshaft actuators exhibit rattling noises at startup when they fail. Look up "Ford VCT failure" for more info. GM has very few issues with their actuators.

Is this a turbo 4cyl?

Yes, it's a 2.0 turbo that runs about 23 pounds of boost stock.

The sprockets themselves are a lifetime part, usually. The chain gets replaced due to stretch more so than physical wear, and the plastic guides are known to crack and send chunks through the engine.

The camshaft actuators exhibit rattling noises at startup when they fail. Look up "Ford VCT failure" for more info. GM has very few issues with their actuators.

Yes, it's a 2.0 turbo that runs about 23 pounds of boost stock.
It is like most manufacturers of just about everything , since about the mid 1990s and on.... decided - Lets just make as many things out of cheap plastic that we can get away with regardless the out of warranty costs and headaches to our customers. Why should they care since none of them even seem concerned about repeat customers any more. Its just sad how many things are made so darn cheap today as the quality goes down.... of course the costs just keep rising.

Back