2002 Silverado 5.3L RWD Drive Shaft U-Joint and Carrier Bearing part numbers

Own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L (LT, RWD) and trying to figure out the correct part numbers for U-Joints and Carrier Bearing to my trucks driveshaft. I provided the the vin# 21132497 (last 8) to the dealer and the part# provided for the U-joints was 21132497, and part# 23104840 for the Carrier Bearing. Reading thru several forums, I'm getting mixed information on how the correct part#'s to the mentioned parts, are obtained. Some forum members suggest that you take the U-joints to the dealer to verify correct fit. Since I'm buying the U-joints online, the option to bring the old part to compare with the new part is not an option.

Is it necessary to remove the U-Joints from the shafts to confirm fitment or can I just use the Vin# to confirm it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

VIN is king for correct parts unless something has been changed on it over the years. I would trust the dealership given part numbers over strangers on forums....

Reactions: D60
I know this won't seem like much help, but I always just measure u-joints with calipers. Listings get really convoluted-- but perhaps VIN info is very accurate

You can measure across an entire yoke, then measure depth from outside of yoke to cap. Multiply by two and deduct from OAW and it'll pretty much always fall to nominal width of a 1330, 1350 etc

The last thing to watch is internal or external clips. I think on your '02 it should just be conventional external clips at all four, and I don't think crossover joints were used, eg 1330 to 1350 etc

Back